Tuesday 4 December 2012

All Systems Go - part 2

A little later than promised, here is the second installment, so, the last photo was the knits as they have come off the machine. They need washing to give the labmswool it's super soft finish, but I can't just throw it in with all those loose ends and the foxes in bits, so I sew the ends in, and the foxes up. Here they are before the wash...
 
 
When the knits come out of the wash, they are dried, then pressed, here they are on the ironing board ready for the pressing (aka ironing). I'm not fond of ironing, but don't mind pressing my knits. I definitely iron a lot more knitting than I do clothes...
 
 
So, what's next?!? More sewing, both hand and machine depending on the product. The foxes need eyes, noses and elastic for fastening, as well as a label of course!
 
 
The cushions are machine sewn before being stuffed and hand stitched to finish. Here are some cushions in progress...
 
 
 
And that's how it works, from yarn to finished product. There are lots of stages involved and a few different skills and techniques used along the way which keeps me on my toes. Now I've got some custom coloured glasses cases to knit which I'm looking forward to, as much as I love making the products as I've designed them, making them in a different colour or with a slightly custom design is always good fun!  
 

No comments: