Wednesday 5 September 2012

Today I learnt...

I am writing this from a hotel in Wincester, drinking fruit tea after a day of listening and learning with like-minded knitters at the in the loop 3 conference.
 
I learnt..speedo made a swim suit where the fabric was like shark skin, it made swimmers SO fast it got banned, like steroids for the skin!

 

That before there were the olympics as we know them, there were other events called 'olympian games', one of the most famous of these in the UK was the Wenlock olympian games, started in 1850. At these games they had an 'old ladies race' where the prize was 1lb of tea...and they had knitting! Yes, that's right, knitting at the olympics. The medals were awarded for the 'quickes and best quality knitting'.

 
There was also talk of knitted bathing suits, and it was declared that they don't all go saggy in the water. I am inspired to try this theory out and knit one for myself! These designs from 1928 are particularly lovely.
 
 
There was also talk of machine knitting, and it was a relief to hear that there were other knitters who 'do both' and see them as one and the same, one stated "It's the same thing, just with different tools." which is exactly how I see it, glad I'm not the only one.
 
Excited to see what tomorrow holds!


No comments: