Friday 12 February 2010

Inspiro 09 - The Ladies part 2

Hello again,
I have just finished knitting up some pieces on the machines here at work to show my 1st year students next week in an attempt to get them excited about knitting, yeah!!! Next job is to tidy the colour co-ordinated yarns, but before I do that I wanted to re-visit my inspiro-09 blog from January. So, Angelique was amazing to meet and that was in March in Amsterdam...now back to the UK, Manchester to be precise and another awesome lady!
My second lovely lady of 2009 was Tara McPherson, amaaazing artiste, I first saw her work in the form of this sleater-kinney poster...
I got her first book (Lonely Heart) a few years ago and promptly colour copied my fave posters, framed them and put them up in my house, classy, I know but I couldn't afford the real thing! As well as loads of amazing posters, Tara makes beautiful pictures of ladies, creatures and outer space all in a colour palette that makes my heart melt. Tara's new book 'Lost Constellations' came out in '09 and she did a signing of it right here in Manchester! I missed the last signing that my friends went to in London and was super-excited to hear she was coming to Manchester! The signing was at the Richard goodall gallery, and when we got there they only had a few books left to buy (said they underestimated the popularity...idiots!!) anyways, 2 out of the 3 of us got books, I think Seleena had her polaroid of her dressed as a Tara McPherson painting (see below) to get signed so it was all ok! I can't remember much detail but we queued for a bit, maybe had a free bottle of vitamin water from the fridge?! Got over-excited about cushions with Tara's pictures on them (I bought one, it goes perfectly in my new front room!) then it was our turn to meet her....

Yes, she loooks this effortlessly badass in real life! We presented her with books to put her personal mark in and she drew us a little picture each on the inside cover, sweeet! She really liked the photo of Selena 'awesome'...i think she might have written that on it actually. I think we all muttered thanks and we love you a litle bit then all too soon it was over! She was smily and friendly and it was great to finally meet her. Thank you Tara McPherson for making pictures that make me happy! And making me want to make things that make people smile like you do. x x x

3 comments:

that kate said...

ooh nice story! The sleater kinney poster was the first work of hers i saw too! Soo good. She really does look like a very cool lady!

Knit and Destroy said...

Eh up, are you a fan of Sleater-Kineey too?! I LOVE them! And Tara McP is sooo awesome. x

that kate said...

oh yes! I ADORE the SK girls...i got their autographs when they played the ICA in london..it was so special. They were so friendly :) x